Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pandigital Novel - Quick Review

Just picked up a Pandigital Novel last night, partly to use as a cheap ($170) e-reader.  Honestly, it was a cheap iPad alternative that I knew other people (smarter than me) had figured out how to install Android applications on.  The stock "reader" app (which still works after the hack) can buy books from Barnes & Noble, just like the Nook.  After hacking, I was also able to install Kindle for Android, which effectively makes this a "multi-platform" e-reader.  Again, for this price it's hard to resist.

Here's what it looks like "stock".  Not bad.

The real fun began when I followed a series of (relatively simple) steps I found online, and hacked it to run "regular" Android, complete with access to the "Android Market".  I can even justify this as a business expense, since it's the first Android device I've spent more than 2 minutes using, and knowing my way around Android will help when a client asks me to help them setup an Android phone.


The screen is RESISTIVE, which means it requires pressure, such as the tip of your finger or a stylus.  This is not a deal breaker, especially on a cheap device like this.  It's actually pretty sensitive and responsive - I wish my GPS had a screen this responsive.

The iPad (and iPhone) uses a CAPACITIVE screen, which requires that a conductive "pointer" (such as your bare finger) be used.  While a capacitive screen "feels" better, this screen feels good for what it is.

It has 1GB of on-board storage, but will accept SD/SDHC cards up to 32GB. 

Anyway, I'm pretty pleased with it.  If you don't already have an iPad, and don't want to spend $500, go to Bed Bath & Beyond right away and buy one of these.

No comments: