Thursday, January 14, 2010

ASUS CG5290-BP009

Around a month ago, my primary business computer died.  It was a top-tier consumer HP Pavilion Elite.  It was the second to “die” within 1 year of purchase.  The prior HP desktop was also an “Elite” HP.  Both started having weird problems that weren’t windows-related, but brought the machines to a halt within moments, with virtually no advance warningI think it’s because HP is putting Samsung hard disks in their desktops.

As a result, I knew I needed to get a new one quickly but didn’t want to give HP more money.  I could’ve ordered from Dell, but needed a working machine within 24 hours, so ordering it wouldn’t do.  I was able to use one of the notebooks to do invoices and such, but needed to get my Outlook and iTunes (more for iPhone than music) back up on a “permanent” machine.  I can’t load up all that stuff on a notebook.

So, I went and spent about $1,400 on an ASUS desktop:

F12-20007-main-arI got it up and running within about a day, and transferred all my files to it within about 3 days.  Over the last month, I’ve gotten almost everything I need on it and configured the way I like it.

This thing is a beast.  I couldn’t be happier with it.  Now let’s see how I feel about it a year from now…

No comments: